28.5.09

Bratislava

Have you ever heard "Bratislava"?
The is the capital city of Slovakia. And this is the only capital that I have never heard before this trip has started. Most Japanese people don't know much about Bratislava, do you?
The first impression of this city was that there were a lot of traces of old communism like Bucurste, the capital of Romania. Bratislava is located near Vienna, 60 km to west, Prague, 500km to northwest and Budapest, 200km to east. The reason why Bratislava is not famous for the people in Japan is that still I don't know. But I thought that is because of the buildings, as it were, the trace of communism. The place where is beautiful city such as Budapest and Istanbul has a beautiful architecture in common. That is a main reason why people want to go there. I am not except for that. By the way the distance from Bratislava to Vienna is about 60km as I said. But for me it takes about 1000km because I will go to Poland and Germany before I go to Vienna. That's funny, isn't it?.

Slovakia is a first Euro country of this travel. At the same time, this is the first Euro country of my life.I think those people who go to Slovakia as a first Euro country is quite few. Because, in this year Euro has introduced in Slovakia. Before that they used Colna as a national currency. There is a differences, I mean 1 euro=30 colna, I checked at a Pab. I heard that other european countries which I have passed like Hungary, Bulgaria and Romania will introduce euro in 2012. The border getting close. Actually, but I don't know whether, today when I crossed over a border from Hungary to Slovakia, there was no checkpoint of my passport. I have no stamps on my passport. But isn't it illegal stay? I have never checked of my passport except for checkpoint, so I think it would be fine.

At the pub, I watched the final of European champions league on Barcelona vs Manchester United, it doesn't matter for me which team will win or lose. I just wanted to see a super play!! Every year this league has held to decide the strongest club team in Europe. Fortunately, I had watched two times of the semifinal at Bulgaria, Pleven and Ruse. So it is nice of me to have a chance to the final. The result as you know, Barcelona won!! Whichever I prefer ManU because it is England. But at the pub, I felt the supporter for Barcelona was a much better than ManU. Anyway, I like the couch at Barcelona. He was really funny!! And he was pleased with the second half losstime goal at the semi-final much to the opponent[Liverpool?] to make his tie up in the air.

Tomorrow I will serch the reason why Bratislava is not so famous for Japanese people!!

4 comments:

  1. Ok,You must go to Praha in Ceska its most beautifl city in Euro these 10 yeas everyone said.500kiro far from you,just 2 days far.almost 50 yeas ago,Rosia USSR moving Praha with Big army.But there wear not broke its City.so that Praha sight 500 yeas ago old town now.be carefle to trip,think your mother so.see you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sptaka,
    I got it!! Not now, but I will go to Praha after I go to Krakow and Warsow in Poland and Belrin, Dresden in Germany. I need a time to get there but I really looking forward to seeing in that city. Is this a perfect plan isn't it?
    Keep in touch surely,
    Yuji

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess Im kinda frustrated with the situation at TTC. Man, Im really "saitei"!!!!
    I better take some classes at department of Global Politics or I get bored in a way. Well, Cultural Studies, Race and Ethnicity are interesting but something is missing. duh. Its hard to satisfy my curiosity and everything.

    Tell me the answer for the reason why Bratislava is not popular among us!!!! One of the reasons is that Slovakia, the country itself is not so popular either, for sure though..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rina,
    Yes, exactly. Country itself is not so popular in Japan as well as western European countries I heard. I think one reason is that Bratislava has been not a important city historically. Before in 1993, Czechslovakia was the only name of this country. And the main city was Praha. Of course, Bratislava is big city to connect Hungary and Ceska but compared to Praha, the size of the city and the cultural and commercial importance of less than that. But now, Slovakia is the first Euro introduction country in whole eastern part of Europe. People in western europe visit to this country because the price of things are cheaper than the western Europe. For example, people in England come to here to cure thier teeth!! It is really amaying!! The price of plain is only 30 euro or something like that. I think it will not be long before but still there is a differences to the western part. In addition, for the people in Japan and other tourist will be easy to access here. Currency is really important factor to connect countries I felt.
    Keep working, Rina!!!
    Kenya

    ReplyDelete