21.8.09

Rovaniemi - the heart of Lapland

I just arrived at Rovaniemi so called Santa Claus city from Kemi about 120km to south for two days.

I was going up along the Kemi river and it was windy but I could finally get to Rovaniemi. According to information of tourist office, I cannot see any reindeers in Rovaniemi bofore booking. The city is quite touristic and they knows what they want to do in here. However, I can also see some of them in northern part of Lapland, the way to North cape. Even in north cape, there is a fee for tourist and it will cost about 400 (40 Euro) norwage krone to park a car. They don't know how will it work for bicycle. I hope that I cannot pay for it to enter, moreover if I should have to pay for 40 Euro to get inside I won't get there. I really hate those place who are ready to tourist even if it is worth visiting.
What I figured out at Rovaniemi is that city has three main attraction for visiter that is Santa Claus and or with reindeers, and north cartain (aurola) in winter season. That is the one of the reason why a lot of visiters from Germany as well as Britain.

On the way to come here, I met an old couple who were from Germany all the way by camping car. We talked about what I and they have experienced. They have traveled for three month already from Munhein and going to northern part of Norway close to Russia. They met a lot of people who want to visit North cape during their trip but they won't visit to there because of the price or so. When I met to them on the road I thought firstly they came from Finland because a lot of Fins traveling by camping car from one place to another but they actually from Germany. Even though they seemed like 60 years old, they (actually only woman ) can speak very good English. I don't need to speak neither Germany nor Finnish. I drunk a cup of coffee from there offer in the pass of the road. They were staying in that place for two nights, actually there is not any camping site just on the pass of the road, but it is possible to stay as I do because of the safest country. I should say Danke instead of Kiitos( thank you in Finnish)
Different from those people who I met in Finland, they were very open-minded and easy to talk. They have also same opinion with me that people in Finland normally they are a little bit shy and quite. But other part of scandinavians are much more open I heard. One of the reason why they aren't generally open-minded is connected to language I think. Finnish is quite heard to learn and it is originally from Asia. I need a time to make a good friendship with them but they are safe and nice people basically I think. Tomorrow, I am going to visit Santa Claus village if it's not rain!

Yuji @ Rovaniemi, Lapland, Finland

4 comments:

  1. 世界最北端のマックは、ロバニエミにあるんだと。しかしノールカップまで300キロもまだ北に陸地が続くかと思うと、ただのツンドラ地帯ですか?広樹も今日フェリーで函館に着いたようだ。

    ReplyDelete
  2. yuji, i love to read your blog. szymon, cs Olsztyn, Poland

    ReplyDelete
  3. Szymon,
    Oh! I am happy that you are one of the person to read my blog!! Different from the plan which I mentioned before I am going to take the road along the coast line but you know, I need a job to manage! I remembered that you told me something about Sweden but it might be a little bit late, isn't it. Anyway I will keep going to southern part of scandinavian countries after get to North cape!(I need one month at least, haha!) Hopefully, you will keep in touch with me!

    Cheers,

    Yuji

    ReplyDelete
  4. sptaka,
    That is the MacD that I saw today!! I heard from host that in Lapland they have reindeer pizza. I am not sure if they have that kind of Burger! Anyway, today I met Santa Claus! He is gentle and I enjoyed talking with him as well as cross the border of Arctic Circle! I will see some reindeer on the way to Nordkapp!
    Yuji,

    PS. I bought a new sleeping bag! It will bear to -6C! Interestingly, today the temp. at Rovaniemi was 21 C! Half-sleeves is enough to stay here!! Two week trip to see rial reindeer !!

    ReplyDelete