11.8.09

2.7 EURO

In Finland, people can cash it back from empty bottles after they drunk it. And a lot of empty bottle was thrown to the glass by the roads. That's why I have started to carry it to get some money to be able to support to my journey. Moreover, it is a kind of joy because on the main road there are a lot of trucks and cars making a lot of noise....

Yesterday from Vaasa, I started to pick those bottles from glass. Almost all the bottle which lying on a glass are empty beer bottle. The process to get money are quite simple.
Firstly, I picked up from the ground and then I take it to a supermarket. Almost all supermarket have a machine to treat it and caluculate the total price of those bottles. Each bottles have different prices as follows.

0.1 euro- grass bottle
0.15 euro-can of 335ml & 500ml
0.2 euro-pet bottle of 500ml
0.4 euro- pet bottle of 1.5l

The machine classifies those bottles following barcode which has attached of each package made of Finland. So, when I want to use that machine I need to pick up only bottle which has that barcode. Otherwise, I cannot any money back from the store even if the shape is quite same. For example, on the way from Tampere to Pori, I tried to pick it up but I didn't know how it works at a store. So, I picked it all the bottle which I found on the road. Then, I get to the store but almost half of the cans and bottles which I picked didn't work because those cans are from Estonia. If I were careful, I might find out the signe of EEK, that means Estonia Krone, probable.

After I started of this recycling journey with cycling, I have a lot of time to stop on the road. But my leg is still doesn't work well. That is not bad for slow cycling and good for the earth.

That's why I picked it up for 2.7 Euro in yesterday. Anyway, there was a lot of bottle on the ground. However, only thing that I am conserning is that what will I do the bottle which I don't need such as EEK. I normally left it away as it was. But. I feel like a little bit guilty. So, I finally decided to classify with my eyes if the bottle is that I need or not. That's feel better!

Yuji @ Pietasaari, SUOMI

4 comments:

  1. 30年前のヨセミテじゃ、空き缶回収で5セントくれていた(10円)と思うが、んなことして集めていたのは、子供か乞食だったような。

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome stuff Yuji. Keep on rolling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Mikey!
    Long time no see! How is your trip going?
    Have you already come back to UK or still walking?

    Well, for me, I have been in Finland for about one month and that is different plan which I have told you before, anyway. As you know, my journey is almost fine and I hope it would be all to UK!
    I will definetely visit to you when I get to England!
    Keep in touch with me, hopefully!

    Best,

    Yuji

    ReplyDelete
  4. sptaka,
    oh,that's true! There is not a big differences between me and begger in terms of homeless as long as I am traveling. Anyway, yesterday I piched up a lot of bottles and it turned to be 7.3 Euro! That was a new record for one day! It is a kind of tresure game!
    Yuji

    ReplyDelete