30.9.09

The First City in Norway-Tromsø


On the way to came to the city centre after I crossed the bridge on the main road, I noticed this is the city and I came to Tromsø!

In general, people say that northern most city is the world is Hammerfest. And I noticed when I was in there, Hammerfest is a kind of city, where about 9,000 inhabitants are living in. Even before get to the city, there was only rocks and hills. The first impression when I got to Hammerfest was that a city which is islated from the world. It is officially city but for me town is much more suitable word to describe about Hammerfest.

But in here in Tromsø, as I told you above the road to city centre after when I cross a bridge (here is rial isolation because it's island) smells in a city. There was a lot of buss, anyway a lot of people!, student, shops which feels like shining that are enough reason to think about here is the city regardless of the function of it. Even inhabitants are about 65,000, which has enough reason to call as a city even though it is small.

Compared to Tokyo (How big is in Tokyo!), here is much more confortable to live because it is not so complicated. For example, in Tromsø, there is a university called University of Tromsø, which of course is the only university in the whole city. On the way to get to here, I asked somebody that "Where is the university?" And everybody understand that he wants to know about the place of university of Tromsø. And they said the direction to get there without any question about the university which I wanted to know. If I have asked same question in Tokyo, most probably people ask me "Which university that you want to go?". I don't know exactly but we have quite a lot of university in central area. It might be 50-100, especially in some university they don't have one campus at one place of the city.

However, if I would say some complaint about Tromsø to call to a city is that there is no train connection from here, even though ferry is the similar function to train but it is not popular to use as we do in Japan. In order to meet somebody in Eastern Europe, I promised to the person that we will meet the station. I felt the same feeling as I wrote about the university because normally in a city there is only one rail station. If I call my friend to meet in Tokyo and I said only that "Will we meet the station?" And my friend probably replied a little bit angry "A what? which station?"


The first night with my host in Tromsø, we talked about the flight to London, which is directly from here to London cost only 500Kr. with bike fee. The day was on 3rd of October and which is good plan to get to London on my birthday!! But I didn't buy it. One reason, even though the tempreture in outside is only 5 degrees more or less but I want to go to Loforten islands, which everybody say "You should go there! It is really beautiful." Seeing is believing. I have no reason to skip it and I got a lot of people who are supposed to meet me in southern part of Norway, that's why I want to continue of my journey. Well if I drop out of this journey to continue to Edniburgh I will take a train or ferry, which seems much more interesting to get there, won't it?

The first day in Tromsø was fine which is only one time in a 2 week according to my host but it is true! Both yesterday and today were cloudy and rain & snow. I feel sometimes like winter comes. I have been to late to travel in this country. Everybody knows.

Warm people is everywhere I really enjoyed to stay with a family from Slovakia, they are living in Tromsø to study and work. My value about student has been little bit changed since I met a lot of people going to school after they got married. How family is warm!

Yuji @ University of Tromsø, Norway

PS. I saw some polar light the day before to came Tromsø which was not the same light that I thought so. Even so, I kept outside for half an hour to see the dance in the sky!!

4 comments:

  1. How did you meet the Slovakian family? You have been lucky to meet so many nice people.

    More photos please :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Terry,
    You can put the word to the google which is called "couchsurfing", which you can meet a new people through the internet as well as having a possibility to stay at their place. That's the reason why I met a quite a nice people in here. But especially in here in northern norway people are very kind and nice! Not too hard to find nice people!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK. Maybe that is ok in a countryside area.

    Here, it has been a very warm month. September has been 40% less rain than usual. But now it feels like autumn. You feel like the summer has gone. Warm days are just good luck.

    But it has been lucky. :-)

    When must you go back to Japan?

    ReplyDelete