20.9.09

Time is Money


Since I got the first snow in northern Norway, I am wondering if I take either by bus, ferry or hitchhike to down to Oslo. Especially the weather is not good in this area. If rain or snow comes I might get sick or feel frozen.

It has been almost frozen tempreture at night in Finmark. Even in the daytime it is shifting around 5-10 degrees which means very cold! When I was from top of the hill before 30 km to Alta, I was afraid if I fell down in to the ground because of the frozen road. It is possible to pass but it is not safe at the same time!

In addition at this moment my right knee has started to pain again. Considering the road in Norway of up and down hill, it might be get worse if I go by heavy bike. In order to continue of my journey on my bike it is better if I ask for a doctor or (I would say and) reduce my luggege which has been put of my bike, which is 30km altogether.
The possibility from here to get to Oslo is firstly by ferry. There is a good connection by ferry along the coast. It is used to going back and force between Bergen and Kirkenes as a walk for the people who living between those cities but nowadays it is used mainly for the tourist to go to cities between the two. Alta is located northern part of norway about 400 km from Kirkenes. That is the first option which I have to southern norway.

The second possibility going down to south is by buss. There is a lot of buss connection between small cities. Especially in northern norway there is no train connection. To be able to ride on a train to south I have to manage nearly at Trondheim. And also I can go to Sweden from Narvik, which is about 400km from here to south.

The last option what I can come out at the moment by hitch hike. But the problem is that I have a bike. If I am alone with a little luggege it might be possible to find a person who carry me to south but if I have heavy bike it might not be possible to find the person. But nobody knows what willl happens before trying to do it.

When I met a person on the way, I normally say that "I am from Japan and traveling by bike from Istanbul to Edinburgh in Scotland." But when I back to my aim for this journey I don't have to go all the way by bike. Of course, I am happy if I go all the way by bike but sometimes especially after my journey is getting longer and longer and have some pain from my knee I feel like that I want to finish somewhere going by bike. Of course, it might be possible all the way go by bike from here to southern part of Norway but it will be one or two month I needed and it means that I don't have enough time to stay in UK. (I am not sure how long do I need but at least few month) To tell the truth, I am little bit tired to be in a situation that I am doing at this moment. Especially, I noticed that when I piched up a bottle from the ground at somewhere on the road in Norway "What I am doing in here? Is that the thing that I am really want to do to use in a year of from my school ?"

Time is money. I want to get to UK as soon as possible.

Yuji @ Alta, Finmark, Norway

5 comments:

  1. ビザの学生カードはかなり規模が小さいようで、預金がいくらあったとしても、海外キャッシングは5万円、買い物を含めて総額10万円となってますね。つまりキャッシング5万円と、買い物5万円ということでしょう(1か月で)。それ以上の現金が必要な場合は、別の方法じゃないとダメだと思います。アイデアありません。

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sent you a message on your mail address.
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I had the money, I would like to go by ferry. Nice to go slowly, relax, (rest your knee) and see the coast line. It is going to get very cold, very quickly now.

    Good luck
    Terry

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you find out what you want to do and that you are happy with your decision. The most important thing in my opinion is to have fun and enjoy your trip! Whether or not you have biked the whole distance is not that important in the long run. Of course it is nice to say that you have done it, but even Istanbul - North Cape is very respectable and you should be proud!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Terry,
    You are right that ferry is the best way going down to southern part of Norway. But one thing that I want to say about a ferry connection between Norway and UK is that there has been no ferry connection since last year. Is that right?

    Andreas,
    Yes, exactly! Having fun on the way that is the top priority of my journey. If I couldn't go on by bike I can take another transportation. That's for sure! I will decide it later!

    Yuji

    ReplyDelete