12.9.09

North Cape

Since I am very comfortable to stay in Arnt's place as well as bad weather for the day that I wanted to leave, I have been staying for 6 night already. Hopefully that I am leave for to day to either Alta or Hammerfest with Steffen, the guy that we went toghther to going up to the northernmost point in Europe. In addition to up to the northernmost point in Europe, we & a couple from Israel went up to the north cape yesterday by car from Honningsvag, which is located 30 km south from the north cape.

It was very very fast go by car because the road which we took from Honningsvag was the same one that we have already go by bike. And even, there is no other route to get there except for that route that we took already. We took only for half an hour to get the place that we wanted to park the car because normally when we get to north cape we should pay about 250Kr.(30 Euro) per person to get there. Not only we but also my host thought that it was unfair to pay only we want to get in the point because it was just the place. That's why we started to go by walk to get the point from the other side of north cape. And even in north cape there was no fence or gate to get inside of the place.

To tell the truth, I felt in the North Cape that there is a only place that people, I would say tourist want to go. Of course, the cape has beautiful criff and worth visiting for those people who want to see some beautiful northern Norway. In addition to that the reason why I couldn't feel like special was that I am used to going by bike instead by car. Probably, I am always take my bike to go to every place that I want to go. Even I felt like it was easy to go and comfortable but for me I thought or expected that I should go harder when I go up to the North Cape. Or more than that go to the cape, I am enjoying to ride on my bike to going up to the hard place especially if the route is steep pass. Actually, few days ago when we get to the northernmost point in Europe I was very happy on the way back from the place that we left our bike after we finished hiking from the northernmost point. Because the weather was very fine and even we could see sun set without cloud, that's why that cycling must be one of the memory in Northenmorst part in Norway.

On the way back from the North Cape, we visited the suvenior shop that we have already tried to get in by bicycle few days ago. When we were in there go by bike, the shopkeeper wave his hand from the other side of road in his house. We didn't know the reason why he wave his hand negatively but we thought that we didn't want to go out from his house to be able to see something that to two cyclist that he didn't know if we buy something or nor. Actually, we didn't know about that we want to buy something from the shop but at the same time we also felt that it was unfair not to try to sell to us just beacuse of cyclist. At that time, I felt that I didn't want to make any trouble with him if I enter to the shop because it was open. So we left there without any trouble with him.
Then, yesterday we came back to the same place without bicycle and he came from his house instead waving his hands. Actually, there were a lot of suvenior that worth watching especially it is made as a traditional thing that wa related to Sami. The shopkeeper was actually the same guy that wave his hand to us. It doesn't matter for me if he is the person or not. But for Steffen he was tried to ask him "why didn't you come to us to be able to see something in the shop?" after few second he said something like that we expected. After that he also said to him that "We might buy something from here if we find something that we wanted to buy. You should open to everybody those person that might want to buy something from here." He didn't say anything like "I am sorry or anything that apologize that he have done."
During that the one moment, I was really feel like bad because I thought that it might be feel like bad if we ask him the reason why he wave his hand to us. I thought that 99% of the reason why he did do was that just because he thought that we were not going to buy anything from the shop as I told you before. So, I said after that we were out from the shop to him. "Why did you ask him?" I thought that it was a lettle bit crazy to ask him the reason why he did do so. And he, steffen said to me, "Of course we know about 99% but I thought it might another reason not to try to sell us. And even I wanted to say that we might buy something from the shop. Not every cyclist that is the same that want not to buy anything from his shop."
Even I understand what he wanted to make clear but for me I really feel like bad because it was really clear that we were going to bad situation after asking him the reason why he have done.
What I felt from that evperience was that people in Japan or I am the person who want to know about the person without language. We normally think about what this guy not only just for him but also for everybody who I meet thinking about at this momnent without language, it is face or atmosphere or I am not sure why Japanese people or me trying to do it normally. Of course, sometimes that I really want to know or if I couldn't understand the situation, I will ask him/her. Even sometimes I didn't ask them otherwise it might be worse the situation.
I don't think that not every Japanese people have the same feeling that I felt but I thought that is one of the reason why Japanese peolpe couldn't learn in English very fast.
Speaking is important but if there is two persons, politics will start!!

Yuji @ the last day at Sarnas, Finmark, Norway

PS.
Lastly, I really want to say thank you for our host, "Thank you !! Mr. Arnt at Sarnas for quite a long time with big heart!!" . I expected that I was going to stay in here for only two nights but actually I stayed for extra four nights. I met people from Poland, Israel, Slovenia, Germany, Finland as well as our great host in Norway. To stay with that international environment must be one of another good experinece in Northernmost City in Europe.

2 comments:

  1. I've just finished reading all your journey. Very interesting. More photos of you and the people you meet please!

    Here in London the last few days have been very pleasant weather here - people have been lying in the sun in the parks - but autumn is starting.

    Terry
    London

    ReplyDelete
  2. Terry,
    Thank you! I am very fine to hear that you have read of all the diary which I wrote!
    London seems still warm which are very fine! But in here Hammerfest in northern Norway will come winter in one month! It remind me that the day when I was swimming in a sea in Finland two month ago!

    ReplyDelete