25.9.09

Possibility



Since my right leg has started to hurt I have to take some rest to stretch to keep up to the top! It sounds like tough, in some part it is but it is possible.
I threw a lot of things that I have kept on the way to have light bike at Alta, that is why I can still possible to keep ride on my bike.

At Alta, one of the biggest city in Northern Norway, I met an old couple who hosted me for two nights when I rest on a bus stop in the town. As the same thing that I have experienced before left their home they told me that "Do you want to take a ferry from here to Tromsø? I will pay." Interestingly, the former host at Hammerfest, he also told me that "Do you want to take a ferry from here to Alta instead of going by bike in the rainny day!" To tell the truth, I couldn't make an conclusion by myself because I wanted to go by bike wherever I can especially in northern Norway the view is so nice and a lot of place to worth visiting. At the last part of my host at Alta she tried to give some money to keep continue of my journey. I have no reason to refuse but I hesitate to take it because I can use money either which I have or from my parents if I really need it. But at the same time I am tired to make a reason to refuse of it with some problem of English. Finally I took the money which she gave me, it will work for nearly one week of my journey. People are kind in Norway I felt or I would say in country side as far as I know(I haven't visited so called big city yet.)

Even I refused there offer my leg has been still hurted and I am very slow. At this moment I am keep more or less 50km per day, that is the sustainable distance for my journey. Few days ago when I was on the very fine autum day in Norway. I visited a husky farm to see how it looks like. They are used for husky race in winter season and I told two tips from the farm. One is about northern light. The sun is going down to horizen at 7-8 o'clock in here. I heard from somebody that in northern Norway the sun going one hours faster in every week. I am not sure if it is true but I am sure that the sun going down very very earlier than before. According to an information from the girl at husky farm that she told me she watched some northern light in two days before the day! Most probably I was sleeping in the tent!! And the another good tip was about greciar called Øksfjordjøkelen which can see from the road about 8 km from the main road. So I thought when I was there I can see northern light above the greciar! That would be so nice! So I finally decided to visit greciar how it looks like. Surely, I could see that greciar which is only greciar connected to fjord in Europe as I heard before and was really nice! To be able to get to the closest point of greciar I had to walk for three hours from the parking place. The day was so fine and I left my rain proof for my tent with my bike. After 1 hour have passed since I started from the parking place I put my tent hopeing that I can see northern light at evening. Unfortunately, rain has started in the middle of the night and everything that I had at that time has started to wet. The rain kept continue to the early morning I couldn' sleep well at that night because I felt cold. Even though rain has continued to in the morning, the weather seemed be fine especially above the greciar and I finally decided to approach it. Two hours later from the place where I put up my tent, I could get to the greciar! It was the first greciar of my life and was really beautiful!! The pass was a little bit slippy but it managed to get! After taking some pictures I left there with very fine heart.

That's why I haven't seen any northern light in my life at the moment. Even last night there were several stars in the sky and I tried to watch in the sky from my tent, which means I was our from my tent of my half body and at the same time the rest of half inside to get warm. I woak up two-three times at night but I couldn't see at all. That why I need a time to sleep in this afternoon actually. Anyway, today is very fine day and hopefully that I can see some northern light in this night.

The thing that I want to say something about for my journey is that I am still keep continue on my way to Tromsø and Lofoten and then to take a ferry to Bodø. I am pretty not sure if this is the last part of my bike or not. But before watching northern light somewhere in northern norway I have enough reason to stay here even though it will take a long time, that is the thing what I am really looking forward to watching.

The weather decided the performance of my journey which I thought I had already known but especially in Norway, having a lot of rain I feel like really that true!!

My journey will continue to Edinburgh.

Yuji @Storslett

PS. Happy Birthday to my father on 26th of Sept. !!

9 comments:

  1. Hello,

    It sounds like you are meeting nice people. Here in London, it's still warm today but it feels like autumn. Please post some photos of the glacier.

    Terry

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK! I will do it next chance to update my photo!!
    Today is very windy and rainny in here, be the way.
    Yuji

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kenya,

    nice stories! Unfortunately we did not meet - I was at the northcape with the bicycle at the same time but I stood at the youth hostel. I heard about you and your trip, it's very interesting! Happy biking and greetings from Holland!

    ReplyDelete
  4. 山人久し振り。
    もうすぐ半年もたつな。
    なにげにちょろちょろとみてんで。
    俺も頑張ってる。
    山人もまだまだ頑張りや!!

    inada

    ReplyDelete
  5. 無事に誕生日は日光白根に登って過ごしました。

    ReplyDelete
  6. BikeFreak,
    Hi, mate! Now I got another reason to going down to Netherland! You must be one of the crazy guy to going up to North cape by bicycle! We know the hill and tunnel how hard to pass! I hope that we will meet in Holland.

    Inada-san,
    Europe nimo MacDonald's ga takusan arimasu.
    Mirutabi natsukashii hibiga omoidasare masu-ne.
    Smile 0-yen!!! Gambatte kudasi!!

    sptaka,
    That's sounds nice!
    Now, it's my trun isn't it? I am trying to find a place to enjoy my birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Terry,
    On 3rd of Oct. is my Birthday to 22 years old!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Kenya,

    if you decide to visit Holland you can email me! (jeroen0608@live.nl) Maybe we can do some biking here;)

    ReplyDelete