16.9.09

Chain at Hammerfest

Since that I have decide that I am not going to use couchsurfing quite often as I'v been, which is an internet site that gave you an accomerdation to stay for couple of days, I am trying to find a place to stay without any appointment before.

The first day at Hammerfest was rain. I thought that it is possible to ask somebody that allowed me to stay overnight. After sunset, I started to visit a house which was lighting. Before asking to each house, I have decided that I am going to ask only for three times a day. Otherwise I thought that I might be get confusing or feel like guilty.

At the first house, I pushed a bell in the house. Even me, I hurried a little bit because I haven't any appointment before and that was my first time to ask somebody that can host me or not.
When the door opened I said "Good evening! I am traveling by bicycle throught the Europe. Today it has been raining and I need a place to sleep. Would you gave me a place to stay for overnight? " The man who opened the door was very gentle and he said "Oh, I really want to host you for one night but my wife had cought a pig flu. So I don't want to recommend you to stay here. Otherwise you might get cold as well. " I paled and said "That's too bad and even I don't have to stay here. Thank you very much for your hospitality. " Then I tried to close the door. But he said again "Do you have money? I will give some money and food if needed. " Then I said that "No! I have money and have some foods I just wanted to talk with you. Good-bye " I was closed the door.
And I decided to continue to it. "Good eveing! .... " The second time was not good because the woman who opend the door was afraid of me even she couldn't door openly and soon she closed the door.
The third trial was to a man who is outside of his house. I asked him that as I did firstly but he said "Not necessary. I will show you a place for camping. "

What I felt from the experience was that it is not a good idea to ask for a person who can host me for one night at evening especially in a city. Hammerfest is not a big city. The total population in the city is less than 10,000 people. However, a lot of people from Africa as well as Asia either to work or refugees. Not every body to opend for those people including me and I thought that some people would feel like bad as I experienced second trial.
The night was very cold and rainy even I couldn't sleep well in the middle of the city.

The next day in yesterday in the mornig after I repaired my flat tire, I met a person who is from Germany in the city library. He is also traveling by bike from Germany through the scandinavian countries. After we talked for half an hour we decided that we are going to stay toghether. He was supposed to left from Hammerfest at the next day to Honningsvag to going up to north cape by ferry. He has a bicycle but he normally use either by bus or ferry from one city to another. His bicycle is only used for cities. After we made lunch we decided to go to swimming pool to get some hot water. Actually, because of the rain I was really feel cold and I needed to get hot water. Facilities in the swimming pool was inside pool, shower as well as sauna. We really enjoyed to stay there even we had staied for 4-5 hours. In swimming pool I met a old man who lives in Hammerfest. I talked with him in the pool every break for swimming and he said lastly when I go out from the pool. "Will we meet tomorrow at 12 o'clock at city library?" and I said "Of course!" The night I staied with German guy to make a fire and eat some pasta with the water from the Sea. It was very clean and good salt. This morning at 5 am I said good-bye to him and kept continue to sleep at 8 am it was also in the middle of the city without rain.

At 12 o'clock today Imet him at library and talked about something that I have done before as well as this trip. Because of his kind hospitality I decided that I am going to stay his house tonight! I am from here! We in this afternoon went to city by his car to see some beautiful landscape. Actually today it has been very fine day and I am enjoying to stay with. One thing that I want to mention about Hammerfest was that the is gas plant which is connected to tunnel to the main city but I cannot to enter to that place. Only those people who are working in there can allowed to pass the gate. For me, I feel like strange because I can see from the other side of the city how it looks like but I cannot enter. At night time, the gas plant is shining and beautiful but I have no idea to mention about it at this moment.

In these three days, I met a nice people and what I felt from here in addition to that I told you before was that I don't have to ask people if I can stay with thier house or not. And I decided that only when I have a chance to meet local people I will ask then regardless of weather or times, that would be best way not to disturb their private time.
If I were not in the swimming pool I couldn't meet gentleman and I couldn't stay here neither. But before that, if I couldn't meet German guy, I shouldn't go to swimming pool.
Just take their offer with strong reaction will be making something new !!!

Yuji @ Hammerfest,Finmark, Norway

PS. Since I got a fine pictures at Hammerfest, I have no reason to stay here anymore. Most probably I left to Alta tomorrow trying to find something new!!! I love Hammerfest!!

4 comments:

  1. そうか、キャンプサイトがないときは「田舎に泊まろう」方式があったか。父ちゃんはクルマで旅行中に、そうだノルウェーでも、おばさんがバスが出てしまったからと、バス停でヒッチハイクしていたところ、乗っけたことがあったねえ。何だかその時バス代もらったけど。ずいぶん前の話だよ。けど、田舎に泊まろう経験はないなあ。空港で泊っていたら「シティ・ドッグになる」と警備に追っ払われたことはあったが、無視した。

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello,

    I think winter will come soon. I think you must come south!

    Actually, in my local supermarket they have just started to sell Christmas pudding :-(

    Gambatte
    Terry

    ReplyDelete
  3. sptaka,
    Luckly, I got a place to stay at Alta, just the person who I met on a street. Yesterday on the way to here, it was a little snow at night and road has frozen in the morning! Reindeers walked on that road, they seemed that nothing happened!
    Yuji

    ReplyDelete
  4. Terry,
    Thank you! I must get to UK before Christmas! Somehow going down to south before my head be covered by snow!
    Yuji

    ReplyDelete