5.7.17

Wasuze otya nnyabo?


Since I am supposed go to Luwero, where is located north from Kampala. It takes one-two hours buy bus. People in Luwero they speak Luganda as a local language. Most of the people in Uganda they speak good English (best in east Africa as I heard) but some people may not speak English, especially kids and parents. So, it is important for me to learn Luganda.

This is the first day to learn Luganda. We took a bus from dormitory. The language school is located in southwestern part of Kampala. The first day we learned greetings and self introduction in Luganda. Since I am not good at language, it was hard to catch up what the teacher said. But I feel it's important to speak out instead of thinking about the structure of the language. We learned Luganda from English. Since Luganda is a local language, there are not always suitable translation from English to Lganda. This could be another reason why it was hard for me to learn. Even so, we spent almost four hours to learn Luganda. Since I learned a little, I am going to write my self introduction.

Nze Kenya.(I am Kneya.)
Ndi mujapani.(I am Japanese.)
Ndi musomesa. Nsomesa okubala.
(I am a teacher. I teach math.)
Mbeera mu Wobulenzi, Luwero.
(I stay at Wobulenzi, Luwero.)

In the afternoon, we went back to the office and talked to my coordinator. I have got two shocks from her. The first thing is that primary school teacher in Uganda is not regarded as a good job compared to the teacher in secondary school. In order to be a teacher they have to take the test after they have got qualification. And the qualification for primary school teachers is the easiest one to get. Even their wage is half compared to the secondary school teacher as I heard. The second thing is that, this is actually very good, normally students in Uganda they started to learn English at the 4th grade of primary school. But students at my school they stated to learn from the 1st grade. This is because people think that it is important to start learning English when they are young. The local language may be complicated for the kids they think.

Anyway, since I am adult and going to the primary school in Luwero, I have enough reason to learn Luganda. It seems hard but I will do my best!!

Kenya@Kampala

No comments:

Post a Comment