11.7.17

Hippo's School


About two weeks have passed since I came to Uganda. Foods are tasty, people are nice. I almost enjoyed staying in Uganda.

Since I came here as a primary school teacher at least I am supposed to go to school and teach subjects. But few days ago a coordinator from JICA told me about the details of my school.

C: "Well, the number of students decreased. When I went to the school last time, the number of students is about 30."

K: "A what??" "Only 30?"

C: "At the moment, Yes. But the number will increase."

I was surprised to hear the number of students. It decreased dramatically. The school (let's say Hippo's school) is not a public one. Hippo's school is build by local NGOs and called as a community school. It was built because there was no school in that community and it was hard for young children to cross the causeway to go to public school. So one reason is that they made Hippo's school in order to have an opportunity taking education safely. The age of the students who come to Hippo's school is from P1 to P4, around 6 to 10.

The next day after I had a meeting with JICA staff,  the principal from Hippo's school came to Kampala and I talked with him.

K: "How many students do you in your school at this moment?"

P: "19 at the moment."

K: "19!!!"

I was so surprised to hear that. The number is even decreasing! And also he said,

P: "The number will increase."

When I saw the assignment paper first time the number of students was about 120.(It was around one year ago.) And two weeks ago it was 30, but now is only 19. I was wondering the reason why it quickly decreased. Then, I asked to JICA staff and she told me that once there were 120 students in the school but one teacher who worked at the school took several kids and went out the school in order to make her own school. I can't believe that but this is Africa and it happens.

I think that I have a lot of chances and rooms to support the school. Since today I am going to go to Hippo's school as a site visit. I am looking forward to meet children and I hope Hippo's school will last.

Kenya @ Kampala

No comments:

Post a Comment