31.7.17

"Buy me Chapati"


Since I drunk heavily on Saturday, I couldn't wake up until noon.
In the afternoon, I stopped by an cafe then I had a rolex (an Ugandan dish, eggs and vegetables with rolled chapati) before going to the town. After eating Rolex, I went to the central part of town, I hanged out and bought some stuffs which may need at my working place.

Before going back to my dorm, I went to the different part of town where it is located about ten minutes walk from my dorm and then I had dinner.

When I was eating rolex again, two boys came to me and asked,

"Will you buy us Chapati?"

Then, I answered. Something like, "Ask your mom!"

Then he said,

"My mon doesn't have enough food, so, please buy me a chapati, I am hungry!"

I was wondering if I buy chapati for them, I was staring at them and thniking about chapati but not just for free. I thought something is needed in returen for the chapati. Then, I decided to ask some questions for them.

K: "How old are you?"

C1: "I am nine and he is ten."

K: " What's your name?"

C1: "My name is Joseph."

C2: "My name is Obey."

K: "Okay. Do you go to school?"

C: "Yes."

K: "Which grade are you in?"

C1 "I am in grade three and he is four."

K: "By the way, have you eaten a meal today?"

C "No, not yet."

K: "But you've got plump." by touching his stomach.

They were laughing.

K: "What about tomorrow? Are you going to school?"

C: "Yes."

K: "Then, you will get school lunch tomoroow. Posho, maybe?"

C1: "Yes. But I won't get lunch since I didn't pay for the meal."

K: "Okay. Thanks. Then let's eat."

C1: "Give me some money for tomorrow lunch."

K: "No, I won't. But you may get another meal when you meet me again, if you're lucky."

C "Okay. See you then."

K: "Bye for now!"

They are polite. Generally, perople say "thank you" when he/she get something from the others. People in Uganda, they have a different costom to show their appriciation. For girls, they kneel when they express their gratitude. As for boys, they bend their knee a little and show their feeling for appriciation. I felt it's very important to say thank you in this kind of situation. So, I decide that I will teach them to say "thank you" if they forget to say so. In this time, they did well and I was impressed.

Kenya@Kampala

P.S   I am going to start working at primary school in Jinja on 1st of August.

No comments:

Post a Comment