26.7.17

Masaka


Since I have another week before dispatch I have visited to my senior volunteer who works at Masaka. I went there for two nights. Masaka is  a city which is about 120 km west from Kampala.

The first impression of Masaka is bright! People were friendly and pupils were talkative.
I went to his school from the city at the first day. Since it was already afternoon we went to another school where he teaches as a volunteer. It was a math class and pupils learned speed. Surprisingly, they know the formula what we all "hajiki", or the relation among time, speed and distance. What was wrong is that they don't know how to use the formula. So, I taught them how to use the formula and some symbol such as × and ÷. I felt good when I felt the moment that they understood what I said.

After that we went back to original school where he teaches and then we practiced jump rope before catch ball. Since there is a competition for the jump rope for the next month, they practiced during the lunch time.

In the evening, I stayed at director's house. It is a house but it is also backpacker's hostel. I stayed there for two nights. I ate dinner with them. What was interesting is that there were five people around the table with dish. The director, his wife, a woman from Germany, maid and me. They ate at the same time with one dining table. Since I and a woman were guests. We took dish first, then, the director and his wife followed, after that the wife told to the maid that something like "It's a time to take dish." The hierarchy was clear.

The guest house is very comfortable. Even it offered me hot water and breakfast & dinner. I enjoy staying very much. If I have another chance to stay in Masaka I will choose the same place.

Yuji @Kampala

No comments:

Post a Comment