13.7.09

Baltic capitals

Today is the last day of my Baltic travel. Tomorrow morning, I will leave for Helsinki by ferry.And at the same time, this is the last day of my traveling at so called, Eastern part of Europe. I feel like being that this is one of a truning point of my great journey!

It was quite long journey for this two and half months. The day when I have started my this journey at Istanbul was on 22nd of April and to get to the north point of Eastern Europe is on 13th of July, the total is 83 days to get here. Actually, I can possible to get to Helsinki without ferry, but if I try to take that way, I need a tourist visa in Russia.

I heard the man who I met on the road from Norway that Russia the way from Sanktpeterburg to the border to Estonia was very poor. I thought when I heard it that I need to study about what was Russia if I want to know about how happend the poor situation in there. He is going to South Africa as a charity for the poor people in that continent for 9 months by bicycle.

This is his homepage! http://theshirt2010.net/

As a end of Baltic journey, I will write about how have I felt those three capitals.

Vilnius, the capital of Lithuania was most beautiful city of all three Baltic countries in my opinion. The old town itself was not large like Riga and Tallinn, there was no port and quite small. That was enough reason why Vilnius was so beautiful.

Riga, was the beggest city of all three capitals. Of course, it has a lot of places from middle ages but there was a lot of traffic and tourist, mainly they were from England and Germany. The size of the old town was very large and even outside of the old town, there were several beautiful archtecture like Budapest.

And here in Tallinn, is a port with beautiful city. There are a lot of torist from Finland and other European countries. For the people in western Europe, this is the nice place to visit because price of food & beer were quite cheap and an airplain ticket is also cheap to access to here. But, from my experience Tallinn is the highest prices to buy something compared to other Baltic countries for the tourist. Old town was full of torist! Even I heard some of Japanese in the old town!

There is no plan to come to eastern part of Europe, again.

Good-bye Balt,

Good-bye Eastern Europe,

Yuji

3 comments:

  1. やっほ~、ついにヘルシンキ! 青函連絡船(青森~函館)と同じくらいの4時間フェリーでついたところが、大いなる北の先進福祉国というわけですね。カルチャーショックにならないように。北欧先進国の福祉バラマキ、老人がお金持っているから地方も豊かだと言われているけどねえ、英語もよく通じますよ、どうでしょう。7月じゃ雪も降らないけど。

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Yuji Takahashi!! great to hear from you! You are a good man with a great trip. Tell me about the place you will visit in Norwau and I'll tell some old vikings to take good care of you..

    ceep sharing your trip! My norwegian/swedish/danish site www.theshirt.no is soon turning over to the english www.theshirt2010.net ... and take some photos!

    and ... srtay away from dogs,,:)

    Cheers,
    Bjorn Heidenstrom

    Hope to see you in UK!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mr.beerbear,

    Old Vikings.....sounds great!
    I took a ferry called Viking today but that was modern one!
    Anyway,thank you for your attention!
    I will send you another message when I get to Oslo, probably I will stay only in Oslo except for North cap!!!
    Dogs might be serious for cyclist! I hope that you have no problems at all! There were a lot of dogs in Hungary, Romania and Bulgaria. If you go there, you should take care about it!

    Safe & Great journey!

    Yuji

    ReplyDelete