15.10.09

Where to?



"Do you have a student price?"


"No, we don't have that."


"Well, you mean 150Kr. to Bodo, right? "


"No, exactly it will cost 153Kr."


"OK. Here, you can see a box which has 150Kr. out of half, 1 and 5 Kr, which I was given from the people on the street. Is it OK, if I pay for you of this small momey?"

"OK."

"You can count on it one by one, if you want. But I am sure that there are 153 Kr. exactly! "

"No, it's OK."



When I paid it on the ferry, the crew didn't even count on that small money if it is 153 exactly or not. I have been thinking about the flight which I booked on my birthday to London, if I really want to take. The next day when I booked flight I have started to think about the possibility to get to all the way by bicycle. Almost everybody when I meet on the road from Tromsø to Bodø they said that you should either take a buss or ferry to south so that you can possible by bicycle.


Since I might waste of those money which I paid for the flight, I thought that I have to correct those money which I have paid to manage it somehow. The thing which I figured out was that to make a charity out of the people in society. To tell the truth, I did three times trying to be given some money from the people on the street, actually I was standing in front of the super market. As a result of my charity activity, I took about 900Kr. tortally. It was amazed for me because I didn't thought that I can get quite a lot of momey from the people.


What I felt from the experience what I have done in this week was that making a money from the people as a charity was not bad thing, especially if people really want to support me to be able to help going all the way up to Edinburgh. But in my opinion, most of the people who gave some money to me was they thought I don't have enough money to live. It doesn't matter if I am thought from the people either I am begger or traveler. But, I felt as a begger when I make that activity. That was not good thing and I couldn't find out the way that I am doing charity activity to show to the people that I am the person who want to go bicycle all the way to Edinburgh. In a short term, I am not going to make an activity which I have done before I can do it as a traveler.



Before I took on the ferry I have been thinking about the possibility of the ferry to south. But, after 10 minutes later since I took a ferry I thought that I don't want to take a ferry again. Yesterday, the weather was being bad and ferry is all the time up and down and actually I did several times to thrown up to be empty of my stomach. Teh ferry took for four hours and I didn't do anything except for just lying on the sheet.

In the ferry, what I find out that I booked a flight from Bodø to London but that was not only one flight. The flight starts 10am from Bodø to Oslo and then from Oslo to London in the afternoon. As soon as I get to Bodø I went to check my flight it I can take a flight only from Bodø to Oslo. And a woman at the counter she told me that I can take a part of flight to Oslo without extra fee to take.



I have several reason to do, firstly I don't want to waste of money which I have already paid. Secondly, I might cannot find out the cost performance if I buy a two new tires for winter, which cost about 600Kr. The third reason is about the weather. I got a few sunney days in Lofoten but was not good to travel especially going by bike. In addition to the weather condition the tempreture is very low and it is almost frozen when I try to sleep in a tent, which is not nice! Of course, it is pity that I moght not go all the way by bike but i believe this is one of the best choice what I can do at this moment.

Both ferry and train which I didn't pay but it is not hard to get a ticket from the station. But I have already paid for the flight which I have a reason to take.

When only we see in economic terms it as follows.

Flight which I booked: 1230Kr.(paid)

Winter tire(for two): 1200Kr.

Ferry to Trondheim: 700Kr.

Charity activity supported by people in Norway: 900Kr.

Thinking about of economic is important but it should be a part of the reason of traveling as long as I am traveler.

Yuji @ Bodø, Nordland, Norway



PS. I have to find a place to stay till 20 of Oct, which must be hard!!

9 comments:

  1. いつの間にか、トロムソからボードーに来たわけね。間もなく無事にイギリス生活になりますか。日本はそろそろ紅葉ですが、まだ暖かいです。

    ReplyDelete
  2. ha ha, you had a nice trip with the ferry I see...it could be quite "bumpy" on the sea. But you are still alive. Good.

    Could be a good idea to take the plane to Oslo and then a...oh, maybe you need a ferry to Denmark, but from there it's easier with the bicycle, and you don't need winter-tires there..

    there are several nice CS'ers in Bodø, sure you will find a place to stay...

    take care

    ReplyDelete
  3. How was the view of the coast from the ferry? Did it look good...or maybe you were too sick to look? :-)

    Good luck
    Terry

    ReplyDelete
  4. sptaka,
    I will get to Oslo by airplain, firstly. And then most probably take my bike again and keep going up to Edinburgh by bicycle. Feels like to early to get to UK or too late?

    Arnt,
    Thanks! As I heard on the way, Denmark, northern Germany, Netherland will be good for cycling similar to Finland. Norway is not hard to bike but when the view is very fine especially the sun comes as you know! It's only once in a week at this season but hopefully I will be back in here to make it all the way by bicycle! The host at this moment, he is very nice person and I could somehow find a place to stay till 20th!! I think you had got some snows at your place, aren't you? Hopefully, you are still be warm with some guests!

    Terry,
    View? haha...well... the weather has been bad and I have almost nothing to see. Moreover as you suggested me that I have no power to see something out of windows! But if it is sunney I could see some beautiful landscape from the ferry. Mostly it was only sea and the last one hours, there was several mountains which covered by snow. For the people who are not be in here it must be special. But for me, I have been more than one month in Norway and that's I would say normal.

    Yuji

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Yuji! It is a lot of fun to read your stories! Just a little curiosity: have you any idea what kind of work you are going to do in the UK?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jeroen,
    Thank you for your comment on. Actually I haven't decided or even I have no idea what kind of job that I can get in UK. Edinburgh in Scotland is the destination of this journey. So, firstly I will find a job in there, I think I can get a job since I am not the person who want to choose the job. I have been working at MacDonald's for about 5 years in Japan, so hopefully I can get similar job in there(student job what we call). And one thing what I want to learn is about scotch whiskey just because I like it!! Hopefully, I can find a bar to work! Do you have any idea or recommendation to find it?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Yuji! No sorry I have no idea how to get a job but if I just do a google search I easily find some things in Edinburgh.

    I have been to Edinburg two years ago with the bicycle and it is an interesting town - but especially if you go in northern direction there is a lot of nice nature, like the nature in Scandinavia!

    I haven't tried the whiskey because I'm more a beer-drinker;) But I saw a lot of breweries in Scotland. At least I really liked Scotland, it is very impressive nature there.

    Currently I am looking for a job in Holland, but if it takes too much time I am considering to just take the bike and go again! It is winter so it will be a bit cold, but if I go, I either go finding a student job - or I go to a country with a nice climate like Spain or Morocco!

    Keep biking and have a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. In London a lot of Japanese students work in Japanese restaurants. There are a lot of Japanese restaurants here. That is the easiest if your English is not so good. The pay is about 5GBP per hour for this or McDonalds. London is usually not so difficult to find this type of work. Gambatte!

    Terry

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jeroen,
    Will we make a trip to Edinburgh to find a job, then? We will decide in Holland! Good for searching a job!

    Terry,
    Actually, I know about the story for those Japanese student working at Japanese restaurant or job which is related to Japanese. However, I don't work at that kind of place since I have been speaking in English. My English is not still good as it should be but hopefully it will work well!! Arigatou!

    Yuji

    ReplyDelete