23.9.17

The New Semester has Started


Time flys.

The three weeks holiday has already finished and the new semester has just started this week. I have started to teach mathematics to Primary 6 (P6) at my school. As I heard from my colleagus, pupils need a time to come back to school. Around one third of the pupils in P6 came to school this week. I don't know the exact reason why they are so slow. This is Uganda! Maybe I will ask them why they are so slow.

During the holiday, I went to Kapchorwa district, where it is located about 200km from Jinja. I stayed there for about one week with my friend. The place where we went called Sipi falls it is 15km from Kapchorwa town and a lot of nature there. What is good in Sipi is the tempreture. Since the latitude in Sipi is around 1,700m, which means around 6-7 degrees cooler than Jinja. Though it rained everyday also the sun came everyday even sometimes we saw a rainbow! We enjoyed staying there with a lot of natures and delicious food.

We did some activities. For one thing, we participated in coffee tour. We visited a local house where coffee harvested with a guide(Actually, the area around Kapchorwa is famous for the coffee product. They produce the best coffee in Uganda called Arabica.). Then we experienced the process how to make coffee powder from the seeds. Of, course we skipped some parts of the process since we had to do all the process around an hour but we could know the process how to make coffee. After an hour, we drunk coffee we made. It was delicious! After the tour, we bought a coffee powder and even coffee trees (young one) in order try to harvest at my garden.

Another thing the rice in Kapchorwa was very delicious! I normally eat rice called Kaiso, which costs 2800sh/kg. But the rice I ate the guest house called Spa, which costs 4000sh/kg. Then I had an idea trying to harvest some rice then I bought 3kg of rice seeds. I talked with my roommate and then we are going to harvest Spa in Namutumba, where is 100km west from Jinja. For one thing, it is important to have a wet land in order to harvest rice which Jinja doesn't have. Another thing it's easy for us to supervise because the place is not far from my roommate's hometown. We can go there in the weekend.

It seems good to do some work not only just as a teacher but also to think how I support local people.

Kenya @ Jinja

No comments:

Post a Comment