26.11.17

Unasema Kiswahiri?


Do you speak Swahili?

Swahili is a language I have been thought that I want to speak. People in Eastern Africa such as Kenya and Tanzania they speak Swahili. In addition, even some people in Uganda they also speak Swahili.
Generally, it is said that those who people who speak Swahili in Uganda are the people who work in militarily and polices, especially those jobs who are coming from different area and tried to communicate with each other. It is because in Uganda there are a lot of language. Some are similar but some are not similar at all. Of course, they speak English but when it comes to communicate with colleagues, Swahili is much easier than English as I heard. That is the reason why some people in those jobs speak Swahili.
Likewise, people in Kakira, where one of the biggest sugar factory is, they also speak Swahili. Kakira is located around 15km away east from Jinja. On Sundays, there is a big market. Recently, I go out there for finding the opportunity to speak Swahili. I was so surprised when I went there as a first time that people called as "Bowana" means Sebo in Lusoga, or Sir in English. With books I brought it from Japan as well as the book I found in Kampala also help me to understand Swahili. On weekdays I use English and Lusoga (just for simple greetings) but on Sundays I started to use Swahili.

That is why, my Swahili is slowly slowly, or pole pole developing.

Kenya @ Jinja


No comments:

Post a Comment